John Deere Intern

During my internship with John Deere, I had the opportunity to complete 3 different UX projects. Please view them below.

ROLE

Product Engineering Intern

DURATION

June 2020 – August 2021

TOOLS

Adobe Illustrator, Sketch, Cornerstone, Excel

Project one

Autonomous Sprayer Research

BACKGROUND

John Deere’s new sprayer was undergoing testing. I was tasked with analyzing the external display and controls through a mixed-methods study.

 

problem

The current externally facing controls and displays were found to be confusing or hard to see by some users. In the first phase of my project, I completed a task analysis and a think-aloud interview with an internal engineer to determine potential user pain points.

 

solution

To further determine design considerations and user pain points, I adapted Nielson’s 10 usability heuristics to conduct a heuristic analysis and cognitive walk-through of the sprayer’s physical controls. I analyzed common tasks, working memory load, and more.

 

outcome

This project resulted in a report of my findings, design recommendations, and an analysis of competitor products.

process

Research process

1

Interview

Script Writing
Participant Recruitment
Facilitate Virtual Interview

2

Analysis

Task Analysis
Cognitive Walk-Through
Heuristic Analysis
Competitive Analysis

3

Report

Presentation of Results
Design Recommendations
Further Research Suggestions

Project two

Embedded Text & Icon Guidelines

BACKGROUND

John Deere’s text and icon display guidelines needed updating.

 

Outcome

I updated the guidelines based on literature review, data from project managers, and industry research on Apple CarPlay / Android Auto.

Project three

PNG To SVG

BACKGROUND

The design team was in the process of updating all assets from their old design system in Adobe Illustrator to their new design system in Sketch. To do this, many PNG icons needed updating to SVG format.

 

Outcome

I located assets in Adobe Illustrator and reformatted them into SVGs. In some cases, I also had to fully recreate components in Sketch due to corrupt Illustrator files.

 

Portfolio

More Projects